Saturday, May 2, 2009

Liverpool

Wow, today was a great day! We spent the day in Liverpool, and it was so much fun!! We took the train from Huddersfield to Manchester Piccadelly then to Liverpool. It was about 1 1/2 hours.
Christina and I were very tired...


Me and Carianne


We had to get pics at the Manchester Piccadilly train station :)



We arrived at Liverpool and split up for the first little bit at Albert Dock. Michelle, Candice, and Erin went to the Beatles Museum. Carianne, Christina, and I went to the International Slavery Museum and to the Merseyside Maritime Museum. It was interesting and very humbling. The slave trade is such a sad thing, it's hard to even learn about. But I do know that it is important and those who suffered should not be forgotten. The Merseyside Maritime Museum had information and artifacts from Titanic, Lucitania, and the Empress. I learned a lot from that too.

This was a quote on the wall right as you walk in to the museum


Us at the International Savery Museum



Us in front of the Liver Building


Albert Dock

After we spent some time at the Albert Dock Museums, we went to th Liverpool Cathedral. It is absolutely beautiful! It is Britain's largest cathedral. It was breathtaking walking in to the giganticness!! The stained glass windows were gorgeous and massive. The intricate detail in everything was just amazing.

Christina, Candice, Michelle, Heidi, Carianne



This was written by a prayer candle set up and I thought it was pretty neat



A man working at the Cathedral started talking to some of the girls and he told them about a Florence Nightingale monument nearby, so we went to check that out. It was where a hospital used to be, but they have now turned it in to a hostel.

Florence Nightingale Monument

Nightingale house


Just having fun walking the streets of Liverpool :)

Cute little green car!

Seeing the picture of this car reminded me... EVERYONE has such small cars!! I have seen 2 kind of bigger cars. The only large thing that drives is the bus. The roads are so narrow and it's just kinda crazy! We did see an accident today. A big bus ran in to the back of a small black BMW. No one was hurt, but there was definitely damage to the car and even to the bus.

Another grocery store incident... So we decided to get groceries after we got back from Liverpool. We got there around 7:50. After we had been there about 5 minutes someone got on the loud speaker and said..."We will be closing in 5 minutes so please come to the front to buy your items." We were laughing! Everything closes sooo early here! Eight o clock!!! We found one that was opened til 10. So we go in that one and get our groceries and I was checking out. The checker asked me something and I had to say "what" 3 times! I hate it when I can't understand them! I feel so dumb! He asked if I was American. Hahaha! He then asked "Why would you ever want to move from America to here?" Haha I told him why I was here. People bag their own groceries here, and I am soo dang slow at it! People have to sit and wait for me. The checker finally asked if he could help me! hahaha! Hopefully I will get better skilled at bagging...

Other funny things:
  • Someone asked us if we were "Q-in" today (think of the accent), that means waiting
  • The traffic lights turn yellow before it turns red (like the US) and it also turns yellow before it turns green
  • Everyone is "love"
  • "Cheers" is used a lot
  • Drivers and driving is on the opposite side that the US
  • They have funny signs all over the place

(Yield)


This is a reminder to pay to park and to put your proof of payment in your car window


(Speed bumps)

3 comments:

Carianne King said...

LOVE it!! What a fun day we had!

The Hansens said...

I love all your funny things! I love that you have this blog!!!! yippee!

Kyler and Hillary said...

ok this whole blog of yours is cracking me up...well the funny incidents and the funny signs! the museums are just awesome and I feel like you are going to come home soo educated with all the things your learning around england! I can't wait to hear your stories in person! I love you and miss you! Weird that i can't talk to you on the phone...im sick to my stomach thinking about it!