Friday, August 7, 2009

ATHENS

Athens was such a good time! Our first night we got suckered into eating at the first restaurant we came too. My meal was delicious, but I regretted it the next day... Totally got food poisoning and was so sick. I actually didnt feel so hot the next few days, but I still enjoyed my time in Athens.

This was my meal. It is chicken souvlaki (it's like a kabob). It tasted so good, but it didn't treat me very well...

Our second day we signed up for a walking tour through our hostel. We ended up being the only people, so it was a sweet private tour just for us! We loved our tour guide, Michelle, and she taught us a lot of things about the city. Here are pictures of all the places we visited...

Hadrian's Arch

Temple of Zeus


Agora with the Acropolis in the background


Temple of Hephaistos


We walked by the President's house and watched the changing of the guard. It was VERY interesting... I would like to put up a video of them marching, but I have tried to put up a video before and it won't work for me. If anyone can tell me what to do let me know!



ok here is a video, i have a way better one but it's too long and it won't upload

These next pictures are at the Acropolis

The Parthenon- too bad it was covered in scaffolding, we tried to get the best angle possible


View of the city from on top- look to the right and you can see the Temple of Zeus


Porch of the Carytiatids, part of the Erechtheum


The Propylaea


Theatre of Dionysus


Temple of Athena Nike

Try and read that!


That night we went to a garden rooftop cinema, which was awesome. It was on top of a building right by our hostel and the acropolis is in full view when we look to the side! We saw Ghosts of Girlfriends Past. It was ok, but it was the atmosphere that was so much fun!
Here we are at the movie!



Here is Michelle eating a gyro. We LOVE these!! They are so yummy! This was our lunch and dinner for the remainder of our time in Athens. They were cheap and delicious and didn't make us sick.

Stray dogs are EVERYWHERE!!

Michelle and I went to a market the next morning and did a little shopping which was fun. The men loved us everywhere we went! haha It was most apparent in Paris and Athens. It was funny to hear what people would say to us, especially when they wanted us to buy something from them! We had people call us beautiful, pretty, girlfriend, they would tell us they loved us, they would chase us (kinda creepy), etc.
Here is me in the streets of Athens with some merchandise


This is the view from our hostel room balcony


These are pictures from sunsets in Athens and Santorini


Here are our feet all over Greece!

4 comments:

linzi said...

I got a phone call from my mom when I got back and she told me that we had been in Greece about the same time! I wish we would have run into each other! That would have been so cool!
And I am so glad that you said hi because I have been wondering how to get a hold of you! Heidi, you look so wonderful! And I am so happy that you have traveled so much - it is such a life-changing experience! Your pictures are gorgeous and I loved reading through your travel logs!!! I am so glad that you are doing so well :)

So the next question is...
Where will you be going next?!!!

Amber said...

Ok Seriously I have had enough!!! STOP!!!! Why are you having so much fun!!! Greece? really!!?? I LOVE LOVE LOVE to stalk your blog. You look so pretty! I am so happy that you are having this experience I think that travling is amazing! It is my goal to be a world travler!(like you) Someday!!

How long are you going to be there? I could be wrong, but I think that it is way past June! It's been forever, no fair?

What has been your favorite place so far. Are you going to Ireland? Did you already go to Switzerland? I can't remember?

Amber said...

Ok wait! I just read more of your blog, and I figured out that you are already home haha!! disregard that question, but I really do want to know what your favorite place was??

LORI said...

Your sunset pics are so beautiful...and I LOVE your FEET in GREECE. I think it is funny that you have the picture of the food that made you sick.
I'm glad your feet are back home.
LOVE MOM